Thursday, February 11, 2010

Daily Devotional Day & Night

HAPPY THURSDAY!

Today's scriptures are about the importance of fellowship with fellow believers. I hear people say all the time, "I don't have to go to church to be saved", and I honestly believe that, because it's the truth. Jesus said salvation is open to all who come to Him. You are also building a "personal" relationship with God, however you need to fellowship with other believers in order to survive the wiles of the world. There's something about coming together as one church to praise God, and work together for His Kingdom. The church is built as a sanctuary for all of God's people; it's designed to bring people together in Christ. We serve each other and the community around us, and there are so many resources available. When we go to Church on Sunday morning we're going to give something back to God, through praise and worship, tithing, and serving. Most people go to Church to receive the Word, but it's much more than that. When I lived in Portland, OR I attended New Song Community Church, lead by Pastor Richard Pabasco (check out some of his teachings if you get a chance http://app.razorplanet.com/acct/40233-2325/tmpl/index.php?nid=13719&s=gl&preview=true.) Before he preached his sermons, we would have at least an hour of Praise and Worship, and we’d stand and sing songs of praise, dance, and shout out to the Lord. God loves nothing more than our Praises, because it shows that we love Him, and we confess it with our mouth, out in the open for everyone to hear. I used to conveniently show up to church after the praise and worship session was over, because frankly I enjoyed that extra hour of sleep. I thought that as long as I was receiving the Word of God then I was covered. After a few weeks of that, I somehow felt unfulfilled, like something was missing. I prayed about it, because there was a lot going on in my life, and I felt a little empty and alone. At the time, I'm asking God what's happening, because I go to church every Sunday, I pray regularly, and I try to do my best to be a good person. His answer came to me shortly after that prayer through a radio show by Dr. Charles Stanley. Dr. Stanley said something like: "I know about those of you who conveniently show up late to church, after praise and worship time is over, and think that's okay. Did you know that you're a very selfish person, and you're taking from God without giving anything back?” When I heard that it was almost like the wind was knocked out of me. I felt so convicted because that's exactly what I was doing. Dr. Stanley went on to explain the importance of giving back to God through praise whether, song, dance, shouting, or however you openly express your love to Him. All of that time I was being selfish, and just going to church for my own gain. After I started showing up to church on time, participating in the activities, volunteering my time whenever I could, and fellowshipping on days other than Sunday, there was a huge change in me from the inside. I think of the hard times I faced, and wondered what if those people weren’t then for me? We're all we have, so if we don't look out for each other, than who will? I write these devotionals in hopes that I could touch at least one person on a daily basis, and show them the love of God through my life. I know that I'm not perfect, but who is? Paul said it best in his letter to the Philippians during his first Roman imprisonment, thanking them for their love and help while he was there, so I’ll leave you with this: I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine making request for you all with joy, for your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ; just as it is right for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart, inasmuch as both in my chains and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you all are partakers with me of grace. For God is my witness, how greatly I long for you all with the affection of Jesus Christ. And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment, that you may approve the things that are excellent, that you may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ, being filled with the fruits of righteousness which are by Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. (Phil. 1:3-11) Regular attendance in church does so much to strengthen our relationship with God, look at what it did for Paul, and how strongly he felt about His family in Christ. If you don't know Jesus as Lord and Savior, or are going through a period of doubt or hardship, then if you go to a good church, I'm sure that there's someone there waiting to pray with, or console you. I attend Fairfax Christian Church in Fairfax, VA, so if you're in the area, feel free to come and check it out one Sunday morning. It's small in numbers but powerful in Spirit. My favorite verse today is: Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. (Colossians 3:16)

ENJOY! http://www.bible.com/scripture-detail.php?juli=2455239&dtype=Scripture
http://www.intouch.org/site/pp.aspx?c=cnKBIPNuEoG&b=4943197
http://www.intouch.org/site/apps/nl/newsletter.asp?c=cnKBIPNuEoG&b=4943547

I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment