Friday, February 26, 2010

Daily Devotional Day & Night

HAPPY FRIDAY!

I pray all is well with everyone and you're enjoying the end of another workweek (for most). Today is close to the end of Black History month, or at least the last day I’ll share a quote with you, on this subject, for a while. I'm grateful for this month because I truly get to learn more about the people who came before me, and dedicate some special time to them. Hopefully I will become an important part of history, and my children, and their children, will be celebrating me long after I leave this earth. I'm sure most people strive to leave a legacy, and make a difference, if only to a few people. If you don't feel that way, then you should think about a positive way to create your own legacy. I'm not speaking about finding a cure for cancer, or coming up with some awesome invention, but just being known as a loving, caring, and giving person, because that's who you are in Christ Jesus. Enjoy this last quote: "We should emphasize not Negro History, but the Negro in history. What we need is not a history of selected races or nations, but the history of the world void of national bias, race hate, and religious prejudice." (~Carter Woodson) Have a wonderful weekend, and be blessed family!

Today's scriptures are about self-examination. How often do you conduct self-examinations? Is it daily, monthly, or right around the New Year, when you're preparing your New Year's Resolution? I'm sure you remember your major joys and pains, whether physically, mentally, or spiritually. In no doubt could you keep up with the new fashion, and latest trends of super stars. You may post your opinions concerning certain things on Facebook or Twitter, about what's in the News, or whoever's in the spotlight. We judge and condemn people all the time, especially "Christians". I think the greatest thing we fail at today is examining ourselves. Most of us know the bible story regarding the woman who was about to be stoned to death, by her people, because she was caught committing adultery (John 8). They brought her to Jesus and asked what He thought about this, and it's written: This they said, testing Him, that they might have something of which to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger, as though He did not hear. So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.” And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. (John 8:6-8) This passage of scripture is so widely referenced because Jesus is explaining to us exactly how we should think in life. Before we judge anyone for the wrong they've done, we must first examine ourselves. Nobody knows exactly what Jesus wrote on the ground, but I bet is was something like self-examination, or forgiveness. I shared a story with a friend the other day regarding my time in Hawaii. Long story short, the person I was renting from suddenly asked us to leave her house in less than a week, with no apparent explanation. When asked why, she literally said, it doesn't matter why I just want you to go. I was so shocked, angry, and upset with her, I didn't know what to do. Thanks to God, this happened about one week before I was discussing leaving the Island, and I was blessed with another place to stay, until I found a flight back to the mainland. The last thing I remember this woman saying to me was, "you are not a victim". Those words sunk deep in my Spirit, because she was right! I won’t ever forget that. I think those words hit me so hard because I was in fact living my life as a victim. I had this "why me" mentality, when in truth everything that happened in my life was in direct result of something I'd done. I had to quickly turn my attitude from "why me" to "why not me". Now, whenever something goes wrong in my life, or before I make a big decision, I try to immediately examine my past actions, and ask the hard question, "why is this happening this way?" or “how do I want this to happen?” In life we will encounter hurts and pains that are out of our control, like the death of a loved one, or maybe a freak accident, but even those things have purpose, and are working together for our good. Our scriptures start out with a verse from the book of Lamentations, which according to the Women’s Devotional Bible (NIV) is "the book that consists solely of laments". The word lament is defined: an expression of grief or sorrow. Throughout this book, the author examines everything, attempting to come up with a reason for all the strife that's going on in their nation. It's written: Why should any living man complain when punished for his sins? Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the LORD. Let us lift up our hearts and our hands to God in heaven...(Lam. 3:39-40 NIV) Jeremiah had the answers to life right here. God requires us to confess of our sins, so we could take ownership for them. We're also expected to repent, to show Him that we're sincere, when asking for forgiveness. To keep our relationship strong and growing with God, we must make a commitment to examining ourselves daily. Thankfully, we have the Saving grace of Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit to help us live righteously. The only thing we have to do is humble ourselves, and talk to God. When we have Jesus in our heart, we can ask for anything in His Name, with faith, and it will be granted, including forgiveness. If He isn't in your heart then your examination need to start there. If you need someone to pray with, please let me know. My favorite verse today is: Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom. (Psalms 51:6)

ENJOY! http://www.bible.com/scripture-detail.php?juli=2455254&dtype=Scripture
http://www.intouch.org/site/pp.aspx?c=cnKBIPNuEoG&b=4943197
http://www.intouch.org/site/apps/nl/newsletter.asp?c=cnKBIPNuEoG&b=4943547

I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment