Monday, April 18, 2011

Daily Devotional Day & Night

HAPPY TUESDAY!


Today's scriptures are about maintaining a steadfast and meek spirit, while waiting on the Lord. In some way or another we all will pass from this life, and enter into what some call "the after life". Those of us who are believers will go on to live all eternity in the House of the Lord, enjoying eternal bliss. Therefore, our entire existence here on this earth should be spent preparing ourselves, and those around us, for this glorious trip. Our life is all about the life after death. Certainly, over the last few weeks, we've seen many natural disasters, bombings, religious and political gridlock on grand scales--this will only continue if we don't do something about the way that we're living. We have to start with ourselves, and then branch out to help others. It could be a bit difficult to maintain a spirit of meekness, if our focus is on the wrong things.


I read a devotional today, written by Dr. David Jeremiah, entitled "Meek not Weak", and ironically his message ties in well with our group of scriptures. He referenced the verse: But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear. (1 Peter 3:15) You notice that Peter first said "sanctify the Lord God in your hearts", which is key to taking on the Spirit of meekness, because when your heart is right with God, your Spirit will automatically be transformed. This transition starts from within! There's an old saying that you do things much better when "your heart is in it"--how many of us know that to be true? That especially goes for our personal walk with Christ. If we don't first sanctify and purify our heart with His love, then that's when meekness turns in to weakness.


Taking on the Spirit of meekness in Christ, actually makes us stronger. It allows a greater and deeper inner peace, and also leads to the steadfast spirit, which is required to serve God. We know that God is an on time God, but on who's time--certainly not ours. It takes much patience and perseverance to be a true servant of God--these things come directly from the heart. I for one may be the most impatient person you know--I want things yesterday! You can only imagine how God has to break that spirit in me. I pray for things five minutes before they're set to happen, and I expect an answer right away. Oh the anxiety I used to feel, when waiting on God to answer my prayers; I was a mess. I would sit and rock back and forth, chanting something like, "God I know you're listening, so please come now, I need this right now". God knew as well as I did (deep inside), that what I was praying for was either not that urgent, or it was already done, once I cast that care upon Him. Once I learned how to trust Him with all of my heart, I was able to build faith a bit larger than a mustard seed. I was able to humble myself, because now I understand that I'm serving the one and only true God. Even in turbulent times I'm able to stay meek, and not take my frustrations out on others. I'm even able to still keep God's commandments, and love Him, and my fellow brethren, with all of my heart.

Brother's and sisters, life is short! Remember when Paul reminded us that it's a race to the finish. It doesn't matter how fast you get there, it simply matters the condition of your heart and Spirit when you cross that finish line. I think what Paul preached to the Elders of Ephesus, is the epitome of a meek, humble and steadfast Spirit, and I thank God for him! He said: ...“You know how I lived the whole time I was with you, from the first day I came into the province of Asia. I served the Lord with great humility and with tears and in the midst of severe testing by the plots of my Jewish opponents. You know that I have not hesitated to preach anything that would be helpful to you but have taught you publicly and from house to house. I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus. And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace." (Acts 20:18-24)

I want to leave you with this, during this Holy week, where we're celebrating the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Paul knew what faced him, when he broke rules, by continuing to preach the Gospel Christ, but he did it anyway, because of His love for Jesus Christ. The Word of God helps us know and understand what His life, and ours, is all about. I'm quickly coming to the point in my faith walk, where I'm beginning to feel like Paul. I wouldn't be telling you the whole truth, if I said that I don't struggle a bit with it, but who doesn't? Even Jesus struggled with coming to terms with His own fate and destiny. So have you come to terms with your role in the Kingdom of God, and the great fate that God has for you? Jesus died so that we no longer have to spiritually suffer death, and now we have the opportunity to give Him something back. Surrender, love and cherish Him with all of your heart, all the days of your life! If you don't know Jesus as Lord, then you'll need to take a few minutes to take the God Quiz right now; it's detrimental to you eternity! My favorite verses today are: Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: but made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men. (Philippians 2:5-7)


ENJOY! http://www.bible.com/scripture-detail.php?juli=2455670&dtype=Scripture

http://www.intouch.org/broadcast/today-on-radio

http://www.joycemeyer.org/OurMinistries/Broadcast/

I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment