Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Daily Devotional Day & Night

Today's scriptures are about God's ever present help in our time of need. There isn't anything too large for God, and He does whatever it takes to protect those who love Him. He created us to fellowship with Him, so He'll always make sure we have everything we need to do so. To live in a world full of sin, corruption, and evil, we must remain strong in God's love. His promises can be found in His Word, which helps us properly communicate with Him. Speaking of communication, I just came across the story of Jonah, and I think it perfectly describes today’s scriptures. God loved the people of Nineveh very much, but they rebelled against Him. He commanded Jonah to go there and tell them to repent of their sins, or He would destroy them and their land. Presently, God also gives us warnings, before we get ourselves in some type of mess, so always take heed of everyone He puts in your life, and listen for His guidance. Jonah wasn't so smart, because He thought he could escape God's presence. I believe Jonah didn't think he was good enough to be called by God, nor did he think the people of Nineveh were worthy of salvation, so he fled. He boarded a ship going the opposite way, thinking he’d get away. How many times have you done that? I’ve tried to flee from God, when I thought that the things He was asking me to do didn’t fit into “my” plans. I started avoiding bible study and prayer time, and when I would hear Him speak to me I’d try to drown Him out with music or television, but none of that work, because He eventually got my attention. He got Jonah’s attention by sending a terrible storm, which almost destroyed him, the boat, and several other people. While the boat was sinking, Jonah was in the bottom, sound asleep. The crew members ultimately found out that Jonah was the cause of this storm. At this moment, you can tell that Jonah was a true man of God, because he told the crew members to throw him overboard, in order to save their lives. However, part of him dying there, meant he wouldn't have to face the people of Nineveh as well. Here's the wonderful part of the story, it's written: And the LORD appointed a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the stomach of the fish three days and three nights. (Jonah 1:17) Although Jonah blatantly defied God, he was never utterly cast down and destroyed. God saved him, but put him in a place where He could no longer run and hide. All Jonah could do is pray for three full days. Have you ever been at a point like that in your life, where you were in so much pain, fear, or utter confusion that all you could do was pray? I can remember numerous times where I've been in the "belly of the fish", but in those moments I was most likely reaping what I sowed. In chapter two Jonah cries out to the Lord with praise, and he said: "I called out of my distress to the LORD, and He answered me, I cried for help from the depth of Sheol; you heard my voice." (vs 2) Throughout this prayer, Jonah acknowledge his mistakes, and thanked God for saving him, because he knew that had he just listened to God in the first place, none of this would’ve happened. Can you relate to Jonah on that? I can recall the days, where I said, "Had I just listened..." When God let Jonah out of the belly of that fish, Jonah ran to Nineveh and did exactly what God commanded, and they accepted him, and repented. It's written: When God saw their deeds, that they turned from their wicked way, then God relented concerning the calamity which He had declared He would bring upon them. And He did not do it. (Jonah 3:10) This made Jonah very angry, it's written: He prayed to the LORD and said, "Please LORD, was not this what I said while I was still in my own country? Therefore in order to forestall this I fled to Tarshish, for I knew that You are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness, and one who relents concerning calamity." (Jonah 4:2) He then asked God to take his life, because he was that upset. Jonah couldn’t understand why God saved these evil and vile people, while his own people suffered. But God said to him, "it is right for you to be angry" (vs. 4). God understands all that we go through, and empathizes with us. Jonah was like most of us, stubborn, hotheaded, and determined to do his own thing. However, only the almighty Lord knows what's best for us. He'll only allow us to suffer so much, before He steps in and intervene, hoping that we'll get the lesson. One thing that we can learn from Jonah is that God will never leave us, and will do what it takes to keep us in line with His will, even if it means being in the belly of the fish. After all of this, God had to give Jonah yet another lesson, to teach Him how importation compassion is. The book of Jonah is only four small chapters, so take a moment and read it, and see what you get out of it. I learned that no matter how bad things may seem, God will always give us the strength to endure, even when we bring the pain on ourselves. It's easier to seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and follow His will, then to try and hide from Him. He loves us too much to ever let us go. He proved that by giving His Son Jesus as our Savior, and I'm grateful! Get to know Jesus Christ today, and allow Him to be Savior of your life. My favorite verse today is: In the day when I cried thou answeredst me, and strengthenedst me with strength in my soul. (Psalm 138:3)

ENJOY! http://www.bible.com/scripture-detail.php?juli=2455321&dtype=Scripture
http://www.intouch.org/site/pp.aspx?c=cnKBIPNuEoG&b=4943197
http://www.intouch.org/site/apps/nl/newsletter.asp?c=cnKBIPNuEoG&b=4943547

I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment