Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Daily Devotional Day & Night

HAPPY TUESDAY!

Today's scriptures are about being in Awe of the Lord. The Bible says that we should "fear" the Lord, and a lot of people can't really grasp that concept. We often wonder why we should fear someone who wants a close personal relationship with us. We also wonder how we could fear the same person we love with all our heart and soul, but it’s very possible. I've likened the fear we should have for God, to the fear we have of our earthly parents, in previous devotionals. I can honestly say that I fear my mom, and not because I think she'll ever hurt me in anyway, but I knew, from a child, that if I stepped out of line she would discipline me. I also feared that if I done something really bad, she'd be disappointed in me, and it would cause me to lose her trust, and I never wanted to see disappointment in her eyes. I’m amazed by her wisdom, and ability to teach me the things that are so important to growth process, and becoming a woman. Even today I seek her approval, and fear doing anything to hurt her.

The reason I choose the word "Awe" instead of fear is because it's a much stronger word. I remember listing to one of my CD’s, Live from Another Level, by Israel and New Breed, and Israel said something to the effect of: in these days kids [and some adults] use the word Awesome so nonchalantly, but the word Awe has a vast meaning, and should only be used when describing God. It's defined: an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc., produced by that which is grand, sublime, extremely powerful, or the like. The point Israel was trying to make was that a new style of shoes isn't awesome, nor is a trick on a motor bike, but the power and love of God is truly awesome. When we stand in Awe of Him, we understand that His power is insurmountable. He created the world and everything in it, including us, and He takes special care of His creations. He's made sure that the cycle of life continues to move, without fail, for every living and breathing creature. He has the ocean, winds, and earth under complete control. He even knows each person inside and out, because He's predestined our lives. Now that's Awesome!

What role does He play in your life? Do you stand in Awe of God? I believe that recognizing Him as an awesome part of your life, will no doubt strengthen your relationship. It'll strengthen your hunger and thirst for the knowledge of Him, and will keep you humbled enough to seek Him for all things. I remember being on an airplane flying over a town, from thirty thousand feet in the air, and noticing how tiny the homes were; all I could see was a speck of light coming from them. At that moment I said Lord you are Awesome! I realized how small a human being is in size, but how much we mean to God. How He makes it a point to be attentive in every way, and be open, waiting to have a conversation with us. From this plane, I imagined God's view of us from Heaven, and not just humans, but the entire earth. How He could easily see the snow topped mountains and its beauty, or an eagle spread its wings and swoop down below in magnificent grace. I thought, “Now that's awesome”!

When you experience the love of God, you begin to recognize, as well as understand His awesomeness. I thought of the story of Jacob, when he had this dream, while laying on a rock in a town he later named Bethel. He dreamt that He saw this stairway leading up to Heaven, and God was standing at the top. God promised Jacob that he and his people would inherit the very land He had been laying on. Could you imagine how that would feel, to actually see God, and to have Him personally make a promise to you of this magnitude? Now that is AWESOME! It's written: When Jacob awoke from his sleep, he thought, "Surely the LORD is in this place, and I was not aware of it." He was afraid and said, "How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God; this is the gate of heaven." (Gen 28:16-17)

The scripture mentioned that Jacob was afraid, what do you think that means? If you saw God in clear sight, and He spoke to you, as described in the scripture, would you be afraid? I would be afraid of so many things, at first, but once I realized the enormity of this promise I would rejoice just as Jacob did. As I went on in life, I would be afraid that I wouldn't do God’s gifts justice, nor be able to give Him something back in return. I'd be afraid that I would fall short, and not live up to His expectations. I would fear going a day without appreciating His grace. Most importantly, I would do my best to live each day in Awe of Him.

When God first called me to surrender, I didn't know what to think, I just know, seemingly in a blink of an eye, my life just changed. My interests changed, and my yearning for the Lord became stronger. I all of a sudden wanted more out of life, but way more than I could get from a romantic relationship, money, or a great career, I wanted to do more for God. I loved more, praised more, and prayed more. This was years after I'd accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior, which proves that God works at His own pace. If you feel lost and alone, as if He's just not listening, seek Him, and He'll reveal the answers to you. However, you must seek Him with Awe, because He is the Alpha and the Omega. Have faith that He's going to answer your every prayer, and reveal His will for your life.

If you don't know Jesus, then you can't truly get to know God. Jesus is our lifeline, our vine, and without Him we can’t produce fruit. Jesus is more proof of our Awesome God. If you don't know Jesus, or where you stand with God, then take a few moments and take the God Quiz right now. My favorite verse today is: Fear ye not me? saith the Lord: will ye not tremble at my presence, which have placed the sand for the bound of the sea by a perpetual decree, that it cannot pass it: and though the waves thereof toss themselves, yet can they not prevail; though they roar, yet can they not pass over it? (Jeremiah 5:22)

ENJOY! http://www.bible.com/scripture-detail.php?juli=2455496&dtype=Scripture

http://www.intouch.org/broadcast/today-on-radio

http://www.intouch.org/magazine/daily-devotional

I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment