Thursday, August 5, 2010

Daily Devotional Day & Night

HAPPY THURSDAY!

Today's scriptures are about renewing your mind in Christ. What does being a Christian mean to you? After you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior, and are baptized, what comes next? Most of us are on fire for the Lord initially. We join a church, and volunteer for every committee, show up for every picnic or church function, and even join the choir. Eventually that fire dies down, if you aren't building a relationship with God. For those of you who are faithful churchgoers, you see it all the time. The new members are constantly in your face, and then you eventually start seeing them less and less, until you don't see them anymore. Being a Christian goes way beyond confessing your love for Christ, it's a lifestyle. You have to walk in love, and the only way to do that is to immerse yourself into the Word of God.

Ultimately, we're on a personal journey, and we're responsible for our individual growth. Growth doesn't come with just going to church on Sunday morning, but you have to change your mindset. You have to want to be righteous, and everything that you do have to reflect that. There's a reason we call, becoming a Christian, being "Born Again", because your old self dies, and you become a new person in Christ. You're resurrected from death, and given life eternally, and it's very important for you to know that. It's written: If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. (Col. 3:1-3) It's rather awkward to begin this awesome transformation, and have no idea who or what you're being transformed into, because you haven't taken the time to learn who Jesus really is. This is what causes the struggle in our flesh, and why people end up losing their fire, because they have no idea of which way to turn, or what to do next.

I wonder how many people spend years of their Christian life miserable, and lost, not knowing what to do next, as I did. Before I rededicated my life to God, all I knew about Him was what I was taught as a child. The things my parents instilled in me, by taking me to church, and bible study. My dad used to send us bible study worksheets in the mail, and have us send them back to him. He and mom also had us memorize Psalms, or certain bible verses, and quote them. My Aunt would come over and have bible study sessions with my sister, our girlfriends, and me, weekly, to teach us how to read and understand the bible. I had all these roots, but was still lost. These things play a vital role in who I am today. However, I wasn't able to use them, until I made a commitment to strengthen my personal relationship with God.

I can remember being the person on fire for God, and then that fire would die out as quickly as it started. I remember turning to a liquor bottle, or another person, in times of hardship, which in most cases made things worst. I think Jesus' Parable of the Sower , best describes the different levels of Christians. I used be the one who fell on rock; and as soon as it sprang up, it withered away because it lacked moisture. (Luke 8:6) Jesus goes on to explain: the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away. (Luke 8:13) I think we all have, or will, experience all of these seeds that Jesus explains, but we must consciously strive to be the ones that fell on the good ground who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience. (Luke 8:15) I can honestly say that this is where my heart is, and will be forever more in Christ. This is possible because He reveals Himself to me more and more each day, and I remain open to receive Him. The key to bearing good fruits is to understand that you cannot bear that fruit alone. We're designed with a dependency on the Lord, because we're created for His purpose.

Putting on a "new man", or renewing your mind in Christ, isn't as hard as it may sound. It isn't written anywhere in the bible that you have to change your wicked and sinful ways, before you receive salvation, because that isn't possible. The order is this, recognize that you’re a sinner, humble yourself before the Lord, and confess your sins. Ask Him to come into your heart as Lord and Savior, and accept Him. From there, your new life begins. Get to know your Heavenly Father. Seek His face, ask Him questions, pray for strength and wisdom, and make an effort to follow His Will. If you're tempted or weak, pray and ask for Strength. If you're sad or lonely, pray and ask for companionship, and spend some quiet time with Him. Most importantly STUDY HIS WORD! Thank Him and give Him praise for your blessings, and you'll find that you've changed into this righteous person right before your own eyes. You didn’t even notice, but everyone around you did, because they see His light in you. Today is the first day of the rest of your life, don't worry about what happened yesterday, but keep looking ahead to a better tomorrow. My favorite verses today are: I beseech you, ... brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind. (Romans 12:1-2)

ENJOY! http://www.bible.com/scripture-detail.php?juli=2455414&dtype=Scripture
http://www.intouch.org/broadcast/today-on-radio
http://www.intouch.org/magazine/daily-devotional

I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment