Thursday, June 10, 2010

Daily Devotional Day & Night

HAPPY THURSDAY!

Today's scriptures are about being redeemed by the Love of God through Christ. One of the best times in my life was when I finally realized how much God loves me. I have to admit, for a long time I had no clue. I just accepted the life I had, and the discontent that was in my heart. I always had a love inside of me that I couldn’t explain, so I sought a different truth. The Holy Spirit started nudging me when I was a teenager, and I knew that there was a great power within me, but I strayed, fell short, and made some costly mistakes [as I'm sure all of you have]. The best part about my testimony is the consistency of God. No matter how I strayed He was there to welcome me back home, with open arms. Whenever I cried out to Him in pain and sorrow, He comforted me. When I rejoiced and praised Him I could feel His presence. When I sinned I felt His conviction, which means that He never left my side. We I repented He forgave me, and when I prayed He answered. I know this all may sound like the "right things to say", but they're absolutely true.
God's love never fades or falters, that's why He's so full of grace, mercy, and forgiveness. A lot of times, when we fall short, and are bogged down we sin, we think that He's angry and doesn't want to hear from us, but that's far from the truth. There's nothing that happens in the life of the believer that God doesn’t either allow, or cause to happen. The enemy's main attack on us is guilt, and we often confuse it with conviction. The Holy Spirit convicts us of sin, to get us to repent, so that we won't be under that bondage. Sin will hinder our growth, and block our blessings, so warns us when we're on the wrong path. The enemy will make us feel so guilty that we often become ashamed, and that shame causes us to hide from, or cease to communicate with God. If you're in this place, or have been, I want you to understand that God loves you more than that. God will never turn is back on you for any reason. Salvation and forgiveness is available to all, even those who may have once despised, denied, or cursed Jesus. Think about it, God loved us so much that He had a child, raised Him as a perfect lamb, and sent Him to the cross to die like a common criminal, just to shed His blood, to atone for our sins. It doesn't matter who you are, you can, and will be redeemed when you ask, seek, and knock.
Today's scriptures started off with a verse from Jesus' parable, "The Prodigal Son" which is a popular biblical story. I think it's so popular because each of us was, is, will be, or know a "prodigal son". The story is about a man who had two sons, and when they came of age, the younger son asked if he could have his inheritance, to go out and travel the world. So the father divided money between the two sons, and the youngest son went into a far country and squandered all of this money, on all of the "fun" things like alcohol, rich foods, gambling, and women. While the older son saved his money, stayed at the farm, and helped his father build more wealth. So far, does this sound familiar? How many times have you went ahead of God, and stepped out of His will, because you thought you knew best?
After the younger son was broke and penniless, he took one of the lowest servant jobs, in a field feeding swine. He got so hungry one day that he considered eating some of the slop he was feeding to the pigs. Then it's written: “But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you, and I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Make me like one of your hired servants.”’ (Luke 15:17-19) I can remember coming to a point like this in my life, where I'd hit rock bottom. It seemed like I had nothing or no one in the world, and that's the most horrible feeling you could ever feel in your lifetime. I felt helpless and hopeless, as I'm sure this young man did, but he finally realized the most important thing, his father would always be there for him, no matter what.
The young son headed back home, and his father saw him coming a ways down the road, so he dropped everything and ran down to meet him. He was so happy to see him that gave him a big hug and kiss! The father planned a big party for him, but when the older son come home to this party, and found out that it was for his younger brother, he became angry, and a little jealous. He confronted his father, and let him know how displeased he was, but his father answered him and said: "Son, you are always with me, and all that I have is yours. It was right that we should make merry and be glad, for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.” (Luke 15:31-32)
Wow, I can understand why this is such a powerful message. God is always proud of those of us who are like the older son, because He needs His "good and faithful servants", and your rewards will be great here on earth, and even greater in Heaven. At the same time, when we're lost and wrapped up in sin, He's helpless like the father in this story. He doesn't want to see us hurt, and suffering, because He loves us. That's way when we finally confess our sins and repent, He's quick to welcome us right back into His good graces. In no way forget that could never be too bad for God, because whenever you come to Him, He'll take you in, clean you up, and rejoice with you in your newfound freedom. So if you're in that place right now take a few moments to pray in Jesus' Name. Tell God that you're a sinner, and you want to change, and ask Him for guidance and forgiveness, and watch Him work in your life. If you've never confessed Jesus as Lord and Savior, then you cannot come to God without Him. Take a moment to read the God Quiz, and I pray that you take that step today! My favorite verses today are: God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. If, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. (Romans 5:8,10)

ENJOY! http://www.bible.com/scripture-detail.php?juli=2455358&dtype=Scripture
http://www.intouch.org/site/pp.aspx?c=cnKBIPNuEoG&b=4943197
http://www.intouch.org/site/apps/nl/newsletter.asp?c=cnKBIPNuEoG&b=4943547

I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment