Friday, June 5, 2009

Daily Devotional Day & Night

HAPPY FRIDAY!

I pray all is well with everyone, and you're enjoying the end of another workweek (for most). I'm doing well, a little tired and worn out by the rain. I enjoyed the basketball banquet last night, it was interesting, but the food was really good. The Dubliner Restaurant is in the lobby of a hotel in northwest DC. I have my “mini class reunion” tomorrow I'm so excited! I haven't seen some of these people in over 13 years, so it's going to be really fun. I apologize for not sending the devotional yesterday, but I didn't have time to do it. I'd like to wish my cousin Lamont a happy birthday. I pray you have a wonderful weekend, and whatever you do, do it for the Lord.

Today's scriptures are about avoiding boasting and pride. One of my favorite verses of scripture is, " I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13) This verse has gotten me through some tough times, because it helps me realize where my strength comes from, and understand that I’m not alone in this fight called life. God has a way of putting us in situations where we have to depend solely no Him, and when we humble ourselves, we'll be delivered and/or strengthened. How many times have you prayed for something and received it, and given yourself the credit for it? We do it all the time, and that's a dangerous thing. We judge people, and totally forget to evaluate ourselves. We sometimes look down on others because of their situation or circumstance, completely forgetting that it's only by the grace of God that we're not in their situation. Pride is like a double-edged sword, because it could cause us to take on the wrong attitude. Pride is like a pebble that if dropped in the ocean, it could possibly cause a small wave or a tsunami. There's a difference between being proud of your accomplishments and growth, while giving God all of the honor and the glory, and just walking around with your nose turned up, with a super man (or woman) complex. What we must realize is without Christ we are nothing. God gives us all things, and it's by His grace that we even wake up in the morning, and it's important for us to understand that. He has created us for His purpose, and He takes time to grow us up, and mold us into righteous human beings. He expects us to share our testimonies with others, in hopes that it would touch someone’s life. In the flesh we are not worthy of the many wonderful blessings that He gives us everyday. However, through the blood of Christ, we've become worthy, and we must be sure to recognize His place in that. Mark 7:20-23 says: ...“What comes out of a man, that defiles a man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within and defile a man.” These are the things we should be careful to avoid, and the best way to do that is through humbleness, meekness, and always giving God the honor and praise. When we start taking the praise and worship we put ourselves in the place of a god, and that plants and inferior spirit in us, and make us feel impervious. For example, in the food industry the Executive Chefs run big kitchens, and they have Sous Chefs, a large staff of cooks, and stewards, which makes their jobs much easier. The Executive Chef gets all of the praise, and granted they are running the operation, but he/she couldn't do it without the people around them. In some cases this will make them too proud, and they might start to treat the staff wrong, and overwork the Sous Chefs. Eventually they fall because of pride, and this is why a lot of restaurants or businesses fall, a failure to recognize, thank, and praise their help. This is an analogy of our lives, because we're in control of what we do on some levels, we have free will, we decide to choose right or wrong. God gives us a number of components to ensure we're taken care of, such as Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, and a legion of Angels for protection. It's because of Him (them) that we're even breathing. Do you understand how many car accidents He's helped us avoid, or bad situations He's removed us from? Do you know how important it is when you're minutes away from having a car accident and you avoid it, to say “thank you Lord for saving me”, instead of saying, "I sure am a good driver". Or, when you receive a promotion at work, to say, "Thank you Lord for the strength you've given me to accomplish this", instead of saying, "I sure worked hard for this and I deserve it"? Having the right attitude in life strengthens our relationship with God, hence allowing us to fall right into His will, which equals, peace, joy, and happiness. Proverbs 29:23 sums up what I'm trying to say: A man’s pride will bring him low, But the humble in spirit will retain honor. Pleasing God is much more important than impressing man, so be careful not to brag, boast, or forget to acknowledge Him in your blessings. Jesus is the best thing that has ever happened to me, He's my ever-present help in my time of need. Every good thing that has come out of my life comes from God, and without Him I am nothing. I believe that in my heart, and because of it He's opened lots of doors for me, and the people around me that I'm a vessel to. Thank you Father for your love, mercy, and grace, I love you, in Jesus' Name, Amen. If you don't know Jesus for yourself, I suggest you get to know Him, and watch your life transform for the better. I say all the time that wealth, prestige, and pride will not get you into heaven, and surely won't guarantee your peace and happiness on earth, only Jesus could give you that. My favorite verse today is: By the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. (1 Corinthians 15:10)

ENJOY! http://www.bible.com/scripture-detail.php?juli=2454988&dtype=Scripture
http://www.intouch.org/site/pp.aspx?c=cnKBIPNuEoG&b=4943197
http://www.intouch.org/site/apps/nlnet/content2.aspx?c=cnKBIPNuEoG&b=5200573&ct=7047963

I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment