Monday, January 10, 2011

Daily Devotional Day & Night

HAPPY MONDAY!

Today’s scriptures are about being perfect in Christ. How many of you know that you’re perfect in the eyes of God? It’s not you in the flesh, but you in the Spirit, by the blood of Jesus Christ. God sees our heart, and not what’s on the outside. He’s concerned about what’s deep within, and if you believe in Jesus then you are made whole, wonderful, and perfect through Him. This is only possible because that’s what He is, and we are one with Him. Jesus is responsible for changing us, and promoting our growth, starting from the inside out. All we have to do is love Him, by seeking His face.

The Apostle Peter gave us all of the answers that we need, to live righteously in the flesh. When I read this, I felt like this is what I’ve been looking for. It simply answers the question, “How do I stay on the narrow path to righteousness?” In the section Confirming One’s Calling and Election (NIV), Peter explains how to stay in line with the will of God. The eye opening verses for me were: For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins. (2 Peter 1:5-9)

Though we are perfect through Christ, we still must work toward making our flesh match our Spirit, truly living our life for Christ. As Peter mentioned, we begin our journey by faith. The act of confessing Jesus as Lord and Savior begins the washing and renewing of our soul, by His blood. Then we surround ourselves with goodness. If you’re going on a diet, you must rid your home of all the junk food and stock it with fruits and vegetables; things that will promote a healthy lifestyle. We must do the same thing when it comes to our Spiritual life. Rid your life of the people who are still stuck in the past, and aren’t looking to grow. Take on new friends who are looking for the same things that you are.

Once we surround ourselves with goodness, we must seek knowledge. We must open the Word of God daily, in order to learn about Him. The only way to please someone is by getting to know them. Learn what they expect of and from you, so that you can meet their expectationsthe same goes for God. Then we must take what you learn, and use it to help you maintain self-control. That’s a big deal for each and every human being, because the flesh wants what it wants, when it wants it. It’s so hard to just say no; trust me, I still struggle with it every single day. However, self-control is a skill that we each have to master, but it takes knowledge and wisdom to learn how. These are the skills that are instilled in us by Jesus Christ, through the wisdom of God. It’s written: Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled. (Matt. 5:5) God understands that we want to be righteous, and are doing our best, so He’ll continue to strengthen our ability to maintain self-control.

Perseverance is right up there with patience for me. We each have a set of mental roadblocks that keep us bound, and these two or my biggest. I first started to break down that wall of perseverance when I read Jesus’ Parable of the Sower. I was so convicted when I read it, because I just knew that I was the seed that fell on stony places, where they did not have much earth; and they immediately sprang up because they had no depth of earth. But when the sun was up they were scorched, and because they had no root they withered away (Matt 13:5-6). I was the type that was on fire for the Lord when things were going good in my life. As soon as I experience trials, I became the victim. I couldn’t praise God, because life sucked, and I let everyone know it. Then, when the good times came back, I was continued praising the Lord. I had to quickly realize that I must praise God through very circumstance. I’m gradually growing into the seed that’s planted on good crops, and I pray that my work will sow hundredfold [it’s a work in progress].

Perseverance will turn into Godliness, and the next thing you know, people will be able to see Christ through you more and more. Everything will change about you, your walk, your talk, and your demeanor. That Godliness will help you grow a mutual affection for God. You can’t help but praise Him, and talk about Him to anyone who listens. You’ll spend most of your time thinking about Him, and seeking His face, because you’ve realized that you’re filled with His love. Love, the greatest emotion, action, and lifestyle you could ever live. Hallelujah! I love everyone, and everything, at all times. I get angry and upset at times, and people make me mad, but at the end of the day, I’m so filled with the love of God that I cannot hate. Love is a part of my spirit, and I love hard, with no regrets, and few fears. I’m so grateful for that ability.

Peter mentioned that whoever doesn’t have these things are nearsighted and blind, because you haven’t realized that you’ve been cleansed of your past sins. You have yet to discover that you’ve been made perfect through Christ. Now it’s time to start your journey to discovering God’s will, and sowing this truth into other lost children of God. Today is the day where that could all stop and you can go through this transition that Peter wrote about. I can promise you, when you start this journey with Christ, you will never regret it. The first step is faith, so if you haven’t yet trusted Jesus as your Lord and Savior, you cannot start on this journey. Take a few moments to take the God Quiz today! My favorite verse today is: Ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. (2 Cor. 6:16)

ENJOY! http://www.bible.com/scripture-detail.php?juli=2455572&dtype=Scripture

http://www.intouch.org/broadcast/today-on-radio

http://www.intouch.org/magazine/daily-devotional

I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment